Global Rights Summit 2020
Date and location to be announced
The Global Philanthropy Project and co-sponsoring partners will coordinate a Global Rights Summit, date and location to be announced, focused on grantmaker responses to “anti-gender ideology.” This will be an opportunity for grantmakers across multiple fields and key organizations working on these issues to convene for reporting on activities and outcomes, and shared strategizing for the next phase of development. Please sign up here to receive updates and more information.
This convening will provide an opportunity for grantmakers to develop shared analysis, strategy, and collaboration across multiple interconnected grantmaking issue areas including (but not limited to) funding to:
- Support the human rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex (LGBTI) people; women and all who face gender-based violence; sex workers; refugees, migrants, and asylum seekers; children and youth; and human rights defenders.
- Support environmental justice and response to climate crisis including opposition to climate change denial and eco-fascism.
- Defend sexual health and reproductive rights (SHRR).
- Defend open space/respond to the closing space for civil society, including response to increased militarization and surveillance by state systems in times of crisis such as the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Support those mobilizing for racial justice and economic equality.
- Support those developing affirming religious spaces, and countering faith-based fundamentalisms.
Within this multi-day meeting, grantmakers and representatives of key grantee organizations will convene for co-learning, shared strategizing, and identification of action steps across multiple thematic tracks. The convening will also include a section we are describing as “regional institutes,” providing grantmakers with an opportunity to apply thematic analysis to practical, localized strategies within geographic regions. Additionally, the convening will include time for self-organized sessions and for membership meetings of the co-sponsoring networks.
(List in Development)
The convening will also be developed by an Advisory Committee.
Elevate Children’s Funders Group (ECFG), Funders’ Initiative for Civil Society (FICS), Philanthropy Advancing Women’s Human Rights (PAWHR)