Elevate Children Funders Group (ECFG) and Global Philanthropy Project (GPP) are co-sponsoring a discussion on international LGBTIQ and children and youth’s rights on 28 February. This teleconference will explore the role of funders in supporting sexual and gender self-determination of children and youth. By partnering, ECFG (a funders group focused on children facing adversity) and GPP (a funders group focused on international LGBTIQ issues) will draw on respective members’ interests, areas of expertise, and strengths to have a discussion on how funders can put LGBTIQ children and youth on the international agenda.
ECFG and GPP have invited Ise Bosch, founder and CEO of the German foundation Dreilinden gGmbH, and the author of the research, “Skirt? Nope, not for me!” Sexual and Gender Self-Determination for Children and Youth in Alternative Care to discuss key highlights from the 8th Rainbow Philanthropy Conference, which took place in Berlin, Germany on 18 November 2016. The conference, which was organized by Dreilinden and SOS–Kinderdörfer Germany, focused on sexual and gender self-determination of children youth in Europe and the Global South. The conference placed particular focus on LGBTIQ children and adolescents without parental care, which are particularly vulnerable when alternative care placements fails to support them. The meeting brought together NGOs (German and international), foundations and representatives of the German Foreign Ministry. Click here for more information regarding the meeting as well as conference outcome report visit.
On the joint teleconference, Ms. Bosch will review the report findings and will be available for questions.
Moreover, the teleconference will be an opportunity for ECFG and GPP members to discuss the ways that they are currently funding this this population, or are interested in supporting in the future. The discussion will also focus on the opportunities, challenges and possible next steps for collaboration action.
Web-Ex Link and Call-in Information
Meeting Number:192 788 325
Password: The meeting does not require a password
If you are unable to join via the Internet, we have set up a Call-in Number (Audio Connection): USA TOLL, +1 415 655 0001. Access code: 192 788 325
If you are interested in learning more about this issue, below please find a list of publications and on-line initiatives:
- Dreilinden and SOS Children Village Germany, “Skirt? Nope, not for me!” Sexual and Gender Self-Determination for Children and Youth in Alternative Care Settings
- German Institute for Human Rights and Dreilinden, “Just Head-Banging Won’t Work” How State Donors Can Further Human Rights of LGBTI in Development Cooperation and What LGBTI Think about it
- PLAN, Strengthening Support to LGBTIQ Adolescents
- LGBTQ Youth in the US Foster Care System: https://www.hrc.org/resources/lgbt-youth-in-the-foster-care-system
- Sexual and Gender Minority Youth in the Foster Care System (Los Angeles, USA)
- Recruitment, assessment, support and supervision of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender foster carers (UK)
- Google’s #prideforeveryone initiative (in the settings the video has subtitles in 43 languages to choose from)
- Dan Savage’s It Gets Better initiative https://www.itgetsbetter.org/