Rainbow Philanthropy Conference:
“Sport Disrupted: Sex_uality Matters”
October 30-31, 2019
November 1, 2019
Location: Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung, Berlin
Dreilinden gGmbH, Discover Football, and Global Philanthropy Project invite grantmakers to attend a conference on October 30-31 and a focused Donor Post-Conference meeting on November 1.
Sports organisations claim that sport is only about performance, and that sports policies promote ‘sports for all.’ Yet, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression and sex characteristics (SOGIESC) still affect participation. This conference addresses the role of SOGIESC in light of current restrictions on human rights.
Grassroots and nonprofit LGBTIQ initiatives and activist athletes will present their best practices to tackle discrimination regarding SOGIESC in the sports world. Together with social scientists and sports policy makers, they will discuss innovative approaches to promote inclusion and empowerment of LGBTIQ athletes and the meaning of fair competition beyond a gender binary.
The conference focuses on:
- effects of sports gender binary as well as homophobia on the daily lives of amateurs and professionals
- use of sports as tool for empowering LBGTIQ people
- lessons to learn from non-binary grassroots sports and LGBTIQ projects
- visions for a non-binary sports world and a fair competition
The post-conference is an international donor consultation focused on sports and LGBTIQ issues, convening key public and private funders, donor governments, corporate funders, high net worth individual donors, thought leaders, and other partners. Together, we invite you to reflect on the Conference and strategize with other grantmakers committed to more equitable and fair sport for all.
Please plan to join the conference organizers, international sports executives, and your grantmaking colleagues for a boat trip through Berlin after the donor post-conference for a boat ride through the canals and rivers of Berlin for refreshments and social time!
Oct 30, 5pm
Pre-conference film screening: the World Premiere of the documentary “Diversities in Sports” by Maria Takacs @ Kino Wolf, Berlin
Oct 31, 9:30am – 6:30pm
Rainbow Philanthropy Conference
- Session 1: Tackling (Auto-)LGBTI-phobia: Central and Eastern Europe context related to LGBTI-phobia and its effect on sports.
- Session 2: A New Way to Play: Imagining a Nonbinary Future of Sport
- Session 3: Lesbian Visibility in professional sports
- Session 4: Sporting alternatives: a dialogue with feminism
- Session 5: Growing LGBTIQ+ sports movements
- Session 6: Where should trans* people play sport?
Nov 1, 9am – 2pm
After the Donor Post Conference
Boat ride through the canals and rivers of Berlin for refreshments and social time with grantmaker colleagues!
Resolution adopted by the Human Rights Council on 21 March 2019
40/5. Elimination of discrimination against women and girls in sport
(Click FullScreen Mode to view or download the full-size PDF)