Resources for the Global LGBTI Philanthropic Response to COVID-19
As philanthropy pivots and adjusts to the unprecedented challenges facing the world from COVID-19, we are seeing how marginalized communities, including LGBTI communities in the Global South and East, will be particularly hard hit. Global Philanthropy Project is committed to supporting our global LGBTI grantmaking community to develop well-coordinated and high impact responses to the needs of our communities in the time of this evolving pandemic.
This hub, set up to provide resources for organizations dedicated to mobilizing the resources needed to improve the lives of LGBTI people in the global south and east, will feature links to COVID-19 related funding calls, COVID-19 fundraising appeals from our members, updates on the evidence that GPP and partners are producing, as well as statements from GPP members, other funders, and policymakers about COVID-19.
We will update this page continually with new resources. If you have any feedback or suggestions, please contact GPP.
GPP RESEARCH BRIEF
How is Global LGBTI Philanthropy Responding to COVID-19?
Survey Results: May 2020 Report
In April 2020, GPP conducted a survey in order to understand emerging practices and principles for COVID-19 response among funders supporting global LGBTI issues, share common learnings and opportunities for collaboration, and inform how GPP can support the community of global LGBTI funders over the course of the pandemic and beyond. The survey focused on GPP member funds as well as non-GPP members in the top 20 funders of global LGBTI issues (based on the 2017-2018 Global Resources Report).
The brief contains findings on:
- Common principles and innovative initiatives global LGBTI funders have commenced since the pandemic began;
- Key issues that LGBTI funders are hearing from grantee partners;
- Actions global LGBTI funders have taken to response to these issues;
- Initial planning or forecasting on implications for global LGBTI funders, including new resources;
- Recommendations for global LGBTI philanthropic community collaboration in response to COVID-19 impacts on LGBTI communities across the world.
In response to the key recommendations from this survey, GPP will monitor shifts in resource flows to LGBTI movements and communities resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic. We plan to undertake a follow up survey of these leading global LGBTI funders in July 2020 and will also publish those results here.
COVID-19 LGBTI-related Funding Appeals
These LGBTI funders are currently appealing for donations to support their COVID-19 response funds that will support LGBTI organizations during and after the pandemic. We will continually update the page, so if you are a funder supporting global LGBTI issues, please send us any new COVID-19 new funding appeals.
GPP Member Public Statements
- American Jewish World Services
- Arcus Foundation Statement
- Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice
- The Baring Foundation Statement
- Foundation for a Just Society Statement
- The Fund for Global Human Rights
- The Global Fund for Women
- Horizons Foundation
- International Trans Fund statement
- Mama Cash Statement
- Oak Foundation
- Open Society Foundations
- UHAI statement
- Urgent Action Fund for Women’s Human Rights
- Wellspring Philanthropic Fund
RESOURCES FOR THOSE SEEKING FUNDS
COVID-19 Global LGBTI-related Funding Opportunities
These funds are providing current opportunities for LGBTI civil society organizations to access resources in order to respond to COVID-19. We will continually update the page, so if you are a funder supporting global LGBTI issues, please send us any new funding opportunities.
|Fund||Geographic Focus||Population Focus|
|Horizon COVID-19 Emergency Response Fund|
(GPP Member and currently closed)
|Bay Area, California, USA||LGBTQ|
|Frontline AIDS Rapid Response Fund||33 priority countries in East and Southern|
Africa, West and Central Africa, Latin America
|Organizations that are led by, or work
with, LGBT people and/or MSM
|Dignity for All LGBTI Assistance Program||Global||Civil society organizations that are under attack
because of their work for LGBTI people or
|All Out’s Emergency COVID-19|
Resilience and Response Fund
|European Endowment for Democracy||European Neighbourhood, MENA, Western|
Balkans and Turkey
|Civil society organizations, movements and
individual activists working towards a
pluralistic democratic political system.
|EL*C Emergency Grants for Lesbian Groups in Europe and Central Asia||Europe and Central Asia||Small grants are intended only for lesbian led
and lesbian* groups that are working
primarily on supporting and advancing the
position of lesbian communities.
|Arab Foundation for Freedoms & Equality (AFE)||Middle East and North Africa||LGBTI+ organization working within the Middle East North Africa region excluding Lebanon*|
|ILGA Europe||Europe and Central Asia||Projects addressing socio-economic rights and issues within LGBTI communities.|
|The Global Resilience Fund||Global||Community organisations and collectives led by girls, young women and/or trans and intersex youth.|
|Aidsfonds COVID Response Fund||Global||Current grantee or partner|
Global LGBTI Movement Resources
- Young and Outside the Margins: Impact of COVID-19 on African LGBT+ youth– African Queer Youth Initiative
- COVID-19 A report on the situation of intersex people in Europe and Central Asia– Oii Europe
- COVID-19:#Inthistogether – ILGA World COVID-19 Campaign and Hub
- “Vulnerability Amplified: The Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on LGBTIQ people” – Outright Action International new rapid research report on the impact of COVID-19 so far on LGBTIQ people across the world
- COVID-19: Community Response – GATE hub for response to the pandemic by trans, gender diverse and intersex communities around the world
- LBTI Caucus Statement in Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic – Statement from an informal coalition of over 300 representatives from every region of the world working to advance gender equality internationally, regionally, nationally, and locally.
- Equal Rights Coalition – ERC statement that government measures to combat the pandemic must take into consideration the disproportionate impact on LGBTI people.
- OHCHR statement – The UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights urges governments to ensure emergency measures do not worsen inequalities faced by people with diverse sexual orientations and gender identities or lead to increased violence and discrimination against them.
- Resources for LGBTQ Communities and Advocates Navigating COVID-19– Arcus Foundation hub for responses to the pandemic.
- ASPIRE Guidelines on COVID-19 response and recovery free from violence and discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity
General COVID-19 Funding Resources
- WINGS Global Philanthropy Resources Hub on COVID-19
- DEVEX Tracker on COVID-19 Funding Commitments
- Council on Foundations Resource Hub
- European Philanthropy Statement on COVID-19
- Unitus Europe
- Responding to the Coronavirus Outbreak: A Curated Guide to Help Non-profits (The Chronicle of Philanthropy)
- CIVICUS Civil Society Resource Hub