Resources for the Global LGBTI Philanthropic Response to COVID-19
As philanthropy pivots and adjusts to the unprecedented challenges facing the world from COVID-19, we are seeing how marginalized communities, including LGBTI communities in the Global South and East, will be particularly hard hit. Global Philanthropy Project is committed to supporting our global LGBTI grantmaking community to develop well-coordinated and high impact responses to the needs of our communities in the time of this evolving pandemic.
This hub, set up to provide resources for organizations dedicated to mobilizing the resources needed to improve the lives of LGBTI people in the global south and east, will feature links to COVID-19 related funding calls, COVID-19 fundraising appeals from our members, updates on the evidence that GPP and partners are producing, as well as statements from GPP members, other funders, and policymakers about COVID-19.
We will update this page continually with new resources. If you have any feedback or suggestions, please contact GPP.
COVID-19 LGBTI-related Funding Appeals
These LGBTI funders are currently appealing for donations to support their COVID-19 response funds that will support LGBTI organizations during and after the pandemic. We will continually update the page, so if you are a funder supporting global LGBTI issues, please send us any new COVID-19 new funding appeals.
GPP Member Public Statements
- American Jewish World Services
- Arcus Foundation Statement
- Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice
- The Baring Foundation Statement
- Foundation for a Just Society Statement
- The Fund for Global Human Rights
- The Global Fund for Women
- Horizons Foundation
- International Trans Fund statement
- Mama Cash Statement
- Oak Foundation
- Open Society Foundations
- UHAI statement
- Urgent Action Fund for Women’s Human Rights
- Wellspring Philanthropic Fund
RESOURCES FOR THOSE SEEKING FUNDS
COVID-19 Global LGBTI Funding Opportunities
These funds are providing current opportunities for LGBTI civil society organizations to access resources in order to respond to COVID-19. We will continually update the page, so if you are a funder supporting global LGBTI issues, please send us any new funding opportunities.
|Fund||Geographic Focus||Population Focus|
|Horizon COVID-19 Emergency Response Fund|
(GPP Member and currently closed)
|Bay Area, California, USA||LGBTQ|
|Frontline AIDS Rapid Response Fund (Currently closed)||33 priority countries in East and Southern|
Africa, West and Central Africa, Latin America
|Organizations that are led by, or work
with, LGBT people and/or MSM
|Dignity for All LGBTI Assistance Program||Global||Civil society organizations that are under attack
because of their work for LGBTI people or
|All Out’s Emergency COVID-19|
Resilience and Response Fund
|EL*C Emergency Grants for Lesbian Groups in Europe and Central Asia||Europe and Central Asia||Small grants are intended only for lesbian led
and lesbian* groups that are working
primarily on supporting and advancing the
position of lesbian communities.
|Arab Foundation for Freedoms & Equality (AFE) (Currently closed)||Middle East and North Africa||LGBTI+ organization working within the Middle East North Africa region excluding Lebanon*|
|ILGA Europe (Currently closed)||Europe and Central Asia||Projects addressing socio-economic rights and issues within LGBTI communities.|
|The Global Resilience Fund||Global||Community organisations and collectives led by girls, young women and/or trans and intersex youth.|
|Aidsfonds COVID Response Fund (Currently closed)||Global||Current grantee or partner|
For a full list of US domestic-focused funding opportunities see the Funders for LGBTQ Issues COVID-19 Response page.
For a list of general HIV funding responses, see the Funders Concerned About AIDS COVID-19 Response page.
- African Queer Youth Initiative: Young and Outside the Margins: Impact of COVID-19 on African LGBT+ youth
- Arcus Foundation: Resources for LGBTQ Communities and Advocates Navigating COVID-19 hub for responses to the pandemic
- ASPIRE: Guidelines on COVID-19 response and recovery free from violence and discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity
- Edge Effect: Publications on specific COVID impacts facing LGBTI global communities
- Equal Rights Coalition: ERC statement that government measures to combat the pandemic must take into consideration the disproportionate impact on LGBTI people.
- Frontline Defenders: LGBTIQ+ and Sex Worker Rights Defenders At Risk During COVID-19
- Funders Concerned About AIDS: Converging Epidemics: COVID-19, HIV & Inequality
- GATE: COVID-19: Community Response hub for response to the pandemic by trans, gender diverse and intersex communities around the world
- ILGA World: COVID-19:#Inthistogether COVID-19 Campaign and Hub
- Lesbian, Bisexual, Trans, and Intersex (LBTI) Caucus: Statement in Response to the Covid-19 Pandemic from an informal coalition of over 300 representatives from every region of the world working to advance gender equality internationally, regionally, nationally, and locally
- Oii Europe: COVID-19 A report on the situation of intersex people in Europe and Central Asia
- Outright Action International: “Vulnerability Amplified: The Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on LGBTIQ people” rapid research report on the impact of COVID-19 so far on LGBTIQ people across the world
- UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights: OHCHR statement urges governments to ensure emergency measures do not worsen inequalities faced by people with diverse sexual orientations and gender identities or lead to increased violence and discrimination against them
General COVID-19 Funding Resources
- Chronicle of Philanthropy: Responding to the Coronavirus Outbreak: A Curated Guide to Help Non-profits
- CIVICUS: Civil Society Resource Hub
- Council on Foundations: Resource Hub
- DEVEX: Tracker on COVID-19 Funding Commitments
- European Foundation Center: EFC and COVID-19 – let’s get through this together
- Unitus Europe: no longer active
- WINGS: Global Philanthropy Resources Hub on COVID-19